Sleuthing

So, Paula hasn't had a very good attendance record since she started. She's probably missed some or all of half of her days here for the month she's been around. Hasn't left a very good impression. Which is where Deb, the accountant steps in. She is a woman who takes it upon herself to avoid doing her own job by making sure other people are doing theirs. Oh, but it goes so much farther than that. Allow me to elaborate.

Paula's penchant for missing work has made her an easy target for Deb. And it has begun. Two days ago after Paula had left work early to go to her part-time job---something that is sanctioned by the owner of this company---Deb took it upon herself to go into Paula's office, fire up her computer, and snoop through her web search history. Deb's zeal for striking gold was fueled. Facebook. Shopping sites. Dating sites. Job search sites.

She went ahead and printed out 20 or so pages of this, comes into my office ranting about it and decides to give it to the VP. She does, of course, but I'm assuming he did nothing with it as is par for the course.

The next morning, Deb tells Paula that the VP---not Deb---was looking through her search history.

Being the compassionate, all-day-web-fucking-around person that I am, I felt a bit for Paula. So I educated her on the ways of Incognito mode. Deb came ranting into my office this morning that Paula must have remembered to delete her search history, because there wasn't anything damning there today. And all I can think to myself is job well done.

I wish it ended there.

Paula called in today---she said she forgot that she had to go to a court hearing today in regards to an accident (drunk driver I believe) that killed her sister a while ago. Deb flipped her shit at this reason/excuse, and has spent the entire morning looking through circuit court records to try to determine if Paula indeed has a hearing to go to. She could not find anything, and believes that Paula is lying about why she's not at work.

I don't care one way or another, but I do feel Deb's method, approach and attitude are about as fucked up as they can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment